6 Things You Didn’t Know About Summer’s Favorite Fruit
Summer’s upon us, which means sunshine, pool time, and juicy watermelon.
But did you know these six things about summer’s favorite fruit?
Turns out, summer’s favorite fruit just got even juicier!
6 Surprising Facts About Watermelon
- Just one cup of watermelon has 1.5 times more lycopene (the powerful antioxidant!) than a large fresh tomato!
- Watermelon is 91.5% water, according to the USDA. And way more delicious!
- It’s a great pre-workout snack – not only because it’s hydrating but also because it has l-citrulline, an amino acid thought to protect against muscle pain and lower blood pressure.
- You can eat the rind. Yup, you read that correctly! The rind is actually packed with chlorophyll and more citrulline than the flesh! Our advice: toss it in a blender with coconut water and lime juice!
- It may help with erectile disfunction! In fact, it’s been called “nature’s viagra” because of its L-arginine content, which may help relax blood vessels and boost sexual performance.
- It’s loaded with potassium, which will help prevent dehydration (whether from sweating poolside or in the gym!).
Yup, you’ll want to go out and buy watermelon (or a dozen) now!
Recommended For You…