Many of us will wake up this morning having resolved to eat more healthfully in 2011 (again, Groundhog Day style). But without an unlimited budget, loads of time to spend slaving away over the stove or a personal chef, many of us think that sticking with our resolution past March is nearly impossible.
Being on a budget or on the go, though, isn’t a reason to eat unhealthfully. Rather, when fast food is on the menu, your healthy eating plans do not need to be thrown out the drive-thru window. Instead, it’s all about making smart choices. As Tiffanie Barton, founder of F.F.I.T. Life, explains, “fast food restaurants were once a place for milkshakes, fries and supersized burgers; but, nowadays, there are many opportunities to eat healthfully when eating fast.” So, we sat down with Tiffanie for tips on tackling the menus at our favorite fast food joints:
At Burger King, try:
– Tendergrill Chicken Sandwich with no mayo, half the bun.
– Tendergrill Chicken Salad, no dressing.
– BK Veggie Burger with mustard instead of mayo or ketchup.
– Hamburger with side garden salad, dressing on the side.
At Wendy’s, try:
– Ultimate Chicken Grill sandwich with regular mustard.
– Apple Pecan Chicken salad.
– Small portion of chili, without cheese.
At Chipotle Mexican Grill, try:
– Chicken salad with beans, no cheese, guacamole or sour cream.
– Burrito Bowl with black beans, chicken, salsa and guacamole.
At McDonalds, try:
– Any salad with grilled chicken, with a vinaigrette dressing on the side.
– Plain hamburger, without the bun.
– Apple dippers