DIY Helmut Lang’s Cool Low Ponytails
With a nod to the 90s and an air of masculinity, the Helmut Lang Spring/Summer 2014 runway show was (as usual) the epitome of cool.
The hairstyles were no exception.
Created by Lead Stylist Paul Hanlon for UNITE Hair, “I wanted the hair to have strong, clean lines to balance the baggier clothes… the idea…was to create a very controlled look by slicking the hair down and around the face, but not making it look crunchy or too shiny. We used products that would control the hair, but not make it too hard.”
How To DIY Helmut Lang’s Cool Low Ponytails
1. Prep the hair with the UNITE 7Seconds Condition ($26.25), which contains a thermal protector. Then use a blow dryer and a paddle brush to achieve pin-straight locks..
2. Next, apply UNITE Session Whip ($25), which really was the star product for this look. This weightless mousse gives the hair girth, but not hold (like a gel might). For best use, apply the mousse liberally from roots to ends and continue to blow dry the product into the hair until it is completely dry.
3. To create the distinct part, use a rattail comb to perfectly section off the hair to the side, continuing to blow dry the hair straight down.
4. Next take 2-inch sections of hair and spray the roots of each one with the UNITE Max Control Hairspray ($27.50). As with the previous steps, continue to use a blow dryer to set the hair.
5. To complete this look, pull the hair into a low ponytail at the nape of the neck and secure with an elastic. Then wrap a black leather hair accessory (Hanlon used one designed by Helmut Lang).
6. For a finishing touch, pull out some of the baby hairs for an effortless, natural look.