How To DIY Gwen Stefani’s Deep-Side Parted Knotted Roll
The MTV’s Video Music Awards are all about celebrating the risk takers (or at least that’s what this 30 year old thinks about them these days). And we love everything about it. From fearless fashion to manic makeup, we love a woman who knows how to have fun and experiment with her look. Gwen Stefani has always epitomized the risk-taking vibe, and this year’s VMAs were no exception.
Gwen Stefani’s hair, a Deep-Side Parted Knotted Roll, stole our hearts (and electric outlets as we immediately tried to recreate the do!). Here, Pantene Celebrity Stylist & Global Brand Ambassador, Danilo, who created the half-up-half-down knotted undo gives us the step-by-step instructions we need to DIY this twisted updo at home.
Hair How To: Gwen Stefani’s Deep-Side Parted Knotted Roll
1. Start by shampooing and conditioning your hair with a strengthening shampoo and conditioner (like the Pantene Pro-V Beautiful Lengths Strengthening Shampoo & Pantene Pro-V Beautiful Lengths Strengthening Conditioner) to help strengthen hair against damage
2. Towel dry your hair and spray hair with an ultra leave-in conditioner (like Pantene Pro-V Moisture Mist Detangler)
3. Part hair into 4 sections (sides and top)
4. Lightly mist each section with a volumizing gel (like Pantene Pro-V Volume Root Lifting Spray Gel) and then blow-dry each section
5. When dry, part hair with a deep side part – bring hair up and over the crown, and then down behind the opposite ear
6. Brush the top of the hair smooth, away from the part, then brush up the opposite part
7. Gather brushed side and top together and begin to twist and fold into a knotted roll and pin to secure
11. Mist with a light, flex hold hairspray (like the Pantene Pro-V Stylers Flexible Hold Hairspray)
8. With the loose hair, take vertical sections and mist with a shine spray (like Pantene Advanced+ Keratin Repair KERAGLOSS Oil Mist), brush and fold hair into large pin curls to set
9. Leave hair in pin curls until cool, unpin and brush into style. For added texture, use a dry texturizing spray