The New York Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2016 Backstage Beauty Report: The Rope Braid
Designer: Public School
Lead Hair Stylist: Allen Ruiz, Aveda Global Artistic Director for Hair Styling
The Scoop: Allen Ruiz, Aveda Global Artistic Director for Hair Styling, created a strong rope braid to compliment Public School’s bohemian minimalist aesthetic with a refined ease. “The nomadic sensibility of the Public School Spring/Summer 2016 collection allowed for a beautiful yet resilient style. This is the girl everyone wants to be,” Ruiz said.
How To DIY A Rope Braid
- Prep hair with Aveda Pure Abundance™ Style Prep™ for volume. Blow dry back into a ponytail direction that will sit just below the center of the head.
- Pull hair into a ponytail and secure tightly with an elastic tie wrapped three times around base of the pony to help set it away from head.
- Using a coin-size amount of Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Nourishing Style Creme in the palm of the hands, smooth over the pony from elastic to ends.
- Take a small section of hair from under the pony to wrap hair around the base hiding the elastic and secure with pins.
- Divide the ponytail into two even sections. Begin to tightly twist both sections clockwise to the ends while simultaneously twisting the two sections together going counterclockwise. Secure with an elastic at the end.
- With a smaller coin-sized amount of Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Nourishing Style Creme in hands, gently smooth over rope braid and the sides and top of head to eliminate flyaways.
- To set the rope braid, spray the style with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray.