How To Fake A Longer, Thicker Ponytail (Without Fake Hair!)
You want a long, voluminous ponytail but you don’t want to deal with clip in extensions or to tease your hair to 1989-esque heights. But, sadly, you don’t exactly have the thick, long locks you crave.
Before you give up on the voluminous high ponytail – it is, after-all, summer’s ultimate cool hairstyle (both in trendiness and temperature control) – give this double ponytail trick from Natalia Bennett of Dyer & Posta Salon a try. “Making two ponytails gives you a fuller, longer ponytail,” says Natalia and, well, we gave it a try and couldn’t agree more! Here’s how to DIY it…
The Double Ponytail Trick For A Full Volume Ponytail
- Start with day-old (AKA: dirty) hair. If hair is clean, apply a dry shampoo (like Bumble and Bumble Prêt-à-Powder) from roots to ends for a more workable texture.
- Divide your hair in half from ear to ear, like you would if you were securing your hair half-up/half-down.
- Make a ponytail below the crown with the top section.
- Make another ponytail right below the top one (this is the ponytail trick!), making sure it’s directly below the top one.
- Tease mid-shaft and ends to get a messy look and to conceal the second ponytail.