Hair How To: The Grungy-Glam Bardot-Like Updo
Fall hair may be all about grungy, but that doesn’t mean you can’t look grungy-glam. For ORGANIC by John Patrick’s Fall 2010 show, Aveda lead stylist Pearson Knight created a modern twist on the Brigitte Bardot “pouf,” that is not only great for a night out, but also perfectly glamorizes the trendy grungy texture in this modern twist on a classic updo.
How To DIY The Grungy-Glam Bardot-Like Updo
1. Brush through hair and prep with Aveda Phomollient™ Styling Foam ($14) to add body and shine. Use a comb to create a left side part.
2. Divide hair into four sections: sides, back, and top. Fold the top section over the face and clip back to separate.
3. Backcomb the back section of hair with a brush to create messy volume. Spray liberally with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray ($26) for maximum hold.
5. Using large hair pins, attach a hairdresser’s sponge at the crown – this will serve as your “pouf.”
6. Cross the right section of backcombed hair over to the left, pinning over the hairdresser’s sponge with large hair pins. Repeat with the left section of backcombed hair, bringing it to right. Take all remaining hair in the back section and twirl to the left to create a French twist. Secure the twist at the nape of the neck with hair pins, creating a tail of loose hair draped over the shoulder.
7. Set aside a portion of hair to fall in front of the left ear, and brush remaining top section of hair over the hairdresser’s sponge. Pin it into the French twist to create a “pouf.” Pull lightly with fingers to create loose, spontaneous volume. Spray with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray ($26).
8. Leave wisps of free-falling hair in front of the left ear, and loosely pin remaining pieces above the right ear. Finish with Aveda Control Force™ Hair Spray ($26).