The New York Fashion Week Fall/Winter 2015 Backstage Beauty Report: Figure-8 Braided Bun
Designer: Richard Chai Love
Lead Hair Stylist: UNITE Editorial Director, Kevin Ryan
The Scoop: Kevin Ryan created a hybrid “Figure 8” braid/bun saying, “For Richard Chai’s FW15 show, we created a look that walks a fine line between prissy and pretty, and carefree and lived in. The result was the creation of a hybrid figure 8 bun.”
How To DIY A Figure-8 Braided Bun
- First, spray UNITE TRICKY Spray ($31.00) from roots through ends to give hair grip and matte shine.
- Sprinkle UNITE EXPANDA Dust ($26.25) through hair for extra grip and volume.
- Pull hair straight back into a ponytail and secure at the nape of the neck with an elastic band.
- Make a very loose braid from the ponytail and secure the end with a second elastic hair band at theend; making sure to leave at least 1-2” of hair loose.
- Using forceps, pull the end of the ponytail through the hair above the top elastic band – this will createa “figure 8” bun.
- Work with the bun to neatly dishevel the braided bun in order to create a braided, undulating shape,and then secure the hair with a bobby pin.
- Finish the look by adding a headband that completely wraps around the hairline, ensuring that all hair iscompletely swept away from the face.