Backstage Beauty: DIY Monique Lhuillier’s Fall/Winter Asymmetrical Ponytail
When models strutted down the runway at Monique Lhuillier’s Fall/Winter 2015 runway show, we swooned over the modern mullet in reverse (the 80s version: business in the front, party in the back; the 2015 version: party in the front, business in the back… sort of!).
Sure, it’s not for the faint of heart – but that doesn’t mean we can’t be inspired by the look and either rock it in all its glory or adapt it to a more wearable look (more details on both below!).
Created by Recine for Moroccanoil and “inspired by the individuality, edginess and sultriness of the modern woman,” here’s how to DIY the asymmetrical ponytail (either full-on or a toned down version).
DIY The Asymmetrical Ponytail
- Starting with damp hair, apply Moroccanoil Volumizing Mousse from root-to-tip and blow dry straight.
- When ¾ dry, apply a drop of Moroccanoil Styling Gel throughout hair for extra smoothness and help create pin-straight strands.
- Use a straightening iron to straighten 1” sections from root-to-tip.
- Create a deep side part and leave 1 ½” section at front of the hair loose. Pull remaining hair into ponytail at nape of the neck and secure with elastic.
- Mist your asymmetrical ponytail with Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray for added hold and Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine to create a luminous finish.
In a rush? Just flat iron the front section of your hair and toss the rest in a tight bun!
Want to tone it down? Leave a smaller section out in the front!