Confession Of A Heat Junkie: How To Curl Your Hair, Damage-Free
On the heels of the Victoria’s Secret runway show, we’re lusting for the sexy waves that put a little bounce in every lingerie models’ step (well, that and the push-up bra, but we’re here to talk about hair!).
Unless you’re one of the few lucky ladies born with perfect right-off-the-runway waves, though, you’re likely going to need a curling iron to get the look. And we all know how damaging a curling iron can be to our long locks. Even worse, in a irony only hair goddesses could snicker about, the finer and less curly your hair is naturally, both the more prone to damage from heat styling your hair is and the more time you’ll need to spend with your curling iron to nail perfect waves.
In pursuit of perfectly sexy waves without the damage of heat styling, we turned to Pantene Pro-V Celebrity Stylist Kim Kimble to let us in on her insider tips for protecting hair from the damage of the curling iron.
First, don’t use more heat than necessary. “Many heat tools reach a maximum setting of 450 degrees; however, not all hair types need that level of heat to achieve the desired result,” Kim says. “Fine or chemically-straightened hair can be styled well below that temperature, close to the 350-375 degree range.”
Second, “when using heat tools, always make sure to maintain a healthy styling routine. Use products that include multiple benefits, especially ones that protect form heat damage. I highly recommend the Pantene Pro-V Heat Shield Collection, which provides up to 450 degree heat protection.”
Ready to get curling? Here’s how to use a curling iron to get runway-ready waves at home, without the damage!
How Curl Your Hair, Damage-Free
1. Wash and Condition hair with Pantene Pro-V Heat Shield Shampoo and Conditioner
2. Apply Pantene Pro-V Heat Shield Potion Serum to towel-dried damp hair and comb through hair so product is distributed evenly.
3. Let hair air dry or blow dry using a diffuser attachment.
4. Spray Pantene Pro-V Stylers Flexible Hold Spray throughout hair and brush through.
5. Use a 1.5″ barrel curling iron, curling small sections of hair into spirals.
6. When all of hair has been curled, run fingers through the hair to loosen curls into waves.
7. Finish off by spraying hair with Pantene Pro-V Shine Serum with Argan Oil.
Illustrations by Claire Thompson, sponsored by Pantene Pro-V