Hair How To: Sleek, Sporty Ponytails at Alexander Wang
Designer: Alexander Wang
Lead Hair Stylist: Guido, Redken Creative Consultant
The Scoop: Putting a twist on the classic low ponytail, Guido created a modernly futuristic feeling with a very sleek, sporty-inspired pony to complement the sophistication and sportiness of Alexander Wang’s Spring/Summer 2015 collection.
“I created this sleek, sporty look by combing hardwear 16 into the hair to achieve a super-glossy, almost silicone-like, head shape, and then left the ponytail dry and natural-looking. Using a black elastic, I secured the ponytail at the base of the head, and then added a second elastic to create a thicker band for a sportier feeling. Then, I left the ponytail natural to add a little bit of richness to the hair and to create contrasting wet and dry textures. I finished the look with Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist for a shiny, modern finish.”
How To DIY A Sleek, Sporty Low Ponytail
- Begin by sectioning dry hair into thirds.
- Starting with the bottom section, apply a quarter-sized amount of hardwear 16 super-strong sculpting gel at the scalp. Using a fine-tooth comb, comb through toward the base of the head, pressing firmly against the scalp for a super-smooth, super-glossy, almost silicone-like finish against the scalp.
- Repeat on the two remaining sections of hair, combing the top back into a sleek, low pony without combing any gel into the ponytail. Leave the tail natural to create contrasting textures.
- Secure ponytail with an elastic at the base of the head and add a second elastic to create a thicker band with a sportier feel.
- Thoroughly spray Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist (available October 2014) all-over the hair for a very glossy, wet-looking finish.