The New York Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2016vBackstage Beauty Report: Urban Chignon
Designer: Jonathan Simkhai
Lead Hair Stylist: Thomas Osborn, TIGI US Creative Director
The Scoop: Jonathan Simkhai’s Spring/Summer 2016 collection features bohemian and Americana elements while remaining true to the brand’s feminine and romantic silhouettes. Inspired by urban architecture and scaffolding, the collection speaks to the contemporary woman. “This look was inspired by the softer side of urban architecture. It’s a creative take on classic Americana – it’s feminine and romantic, with a slightly bohemian vibe that’s loose and casual. Combining elements of structure and freedom – as materialized in the collection – the hair look is soft, yet still polished,” said Thomas Osborn.
How To DIY An Urban Chignon
- Prep hair with CATWALK by TIGI Bodifying Spray to achieve volume and texture.
- Using a round brush, blow dry the front section of hair smooth, leaving natural movement in the ends and hair at the back.
- Gather hair loosely behind the shoulder, keeping tension light around the ears, and tie in a loose knot at the nape.
- Split “pony” into two again, and tie another knot, using a black elastic to secure .
- Once the knot is secured, separate with fingers while using pins to secure pieces of hair where desired.
- Set the look with CATWALK by TIGI Work It Hairspray.