This past weekend I turned the big 3-0.
While some seem to feel immense anxiety at the thought of leaving their 20s, I was pumped to embark on a new decade. Over the last few days, though, I’ve been thinking a lot about what I’ve learned so, without further ado, here are 30 things I’ve learned…
1. You are the average of the people you spend the most time with. Choose them wisely.
2. It’s just as easy to be kind as cruel. Be kind.
3. You only get one body. Treat it well.
4. Drink water. At least 8 glasses/day.
5. Hangovers get wayyyyy rougher the older you get.
6. You really are what you eat. Eat real food.
7. Sunshine heals.
8. Few things can’t be made better by salt water: tears, sweat, or the ocean.
9. Forgiving is the most powerful thing you can do. Forgive yourself first.
10. If you have a great family, you’re super-duper lucky. Don’t forget that.
11. Success has very little to do with your paycheck.
12. Figure out what you love to do and find a way to make a career out of it. As my dad always said, you’ll never work a day in your life if you love what you do.
13. Be grateful. ALWAYS.
14. Tell people you love them. You never know how long they’ll be around.
15. Be honest. Mostly with yourself.
16. No one ever got to a place of power without the help of others. Ask for help. Give back. Pay it forward.
17. Every purchase you make is a vote for the type of world you want. Vote wisely.
18. Be present and connect. Put down your phone. Give whatever you’re doing or whomever you’re with your full attention.
19. Your self-worth isn’t determined by your weight or size. Throw away your scale and cut out size labels in your clothes. They don’t tell you anything of value.
20. We all have baggage. At some point, though, you get to choose whether you want to lug it around or leave that shit behind. Leave it behind.
21. Treat yourself with the same level of respect and kindness you treat others.
22. Follow your passion.
23. Don’t do or say anything you wouldn’t want printed on the front page of the New York Times. My mom always said this growing up and it’s always steered me well.
24. Mistakes are how you learn. Don’t fear failure; fear complacency and mediocrity.
25. Read. Newspapers and books are windows into the world. They expand your mind and shape your world view.
26. Wear sunscreen!
27. If more people chose collaboration over competition the world would be a better place.
28. Travel often both near and far. Explore the world around you and in your backyard.
29. Living on the edge is the only way to grow. Try something new. Do something that scares you. Push yourself beyond your limits.
30. Know that you’ll never have it all figured out so keep learning.
Have any I missed? Tweet me @AlexisWolfer.