Feel Instantly Calm With These 7 Stress Tips
By Alexis Meads
Sometimes I’m running around like a chicken with my head cut off.
Do you know the feeling?
Today, life seems to be moving faster than ever.
We all have demands and pressures including work, deadlines, our families, taking care of our bodies and the endless ping on our phone alerting us of an email or text message.
And the thing is, they ALL feel important to us which can leave us in a constant state of craziness.
However, we all need the calm within the storm. Maybe life isn’t going to slow down, but doesn’t mean we can’t find peace and joy in our journey.
Here are 7 Stress Tips to Feel Instantly Calm:
1. “I can choose peace, over this.” This is one of my favorite affirmations. It’s a reminder to us that whatever is going on in our lives we can always choose peace. You might not be able to change the current situation but you can change the way you decide to feel about the current situation. There is always a peaceful thought on the other end. Set your phone alarm to go off at noon each day with this affirmation.
2. Take five deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. When you’re feeling all stressed out, anxious or fearful, you probably haven’t noticed that your holding your breath or breathing quickly. Slow down your nervous system by taking a moment to pause and take fie deep inhalations and exhalations. The beauty of this is that you can literally do it anywhere, anytime.
3. Ask yourself, “how bad could it be?” Any situation is only as heavy as the weight we’re giving it. Next time you’re freaking out about something, think about how bad could it really be? What’s the worst that could possibly happen? Chances are, it usually feels a lot worse to us than it actually is.
4. Set aside time for worry. One of my favorite stress tips is to schedule in my worry time. I’ll set aside 20 minutes, usually in the beginning of my day, to go over all my to-dos. I’ll allow myself to write out everything I can think of that I have to get done and allow myself to worry about it as much as I want. The rest of the day if a worry-thought pops up or I want to add to my to-do list, I’ll make a mental note and save it for my daily appointment. By the time that rolls around the worry is long gone.
5. Try essential oils. If you’ve done everything and can’t seem to calm down, try a grounding essential oil blend. I personally love lavender. You can put a few drops onto your palms and take a few deep breaths into your hands. The soothing smell instantly relaxes me and changes my entire mindset.
6. Take a long walk. Walking is underrated. My favorite form of exercise is taking a long walk. I’m fortunate to live in a city where you can walk or bike pretty much anywhere which I take advantage of. Especially after a stressful day, taking a conscious walk while really being aware of my surroundings never fails to calm my nerves. It’s one of the best, easiest, cheapest, and healthiest, stress tips!
7. Count your blessings and look for what’s “right” in your life. It’s easy to get caught up in our own stories and drama, and to look for what’s not going right in our lives. In fact, most people live this way. Most people also live with constant stress, worry or anxiety. If you want to feel calm, even in the midst of a crisis, reset your focus on what’s going right in your life and what you have to be grateful for.
Have other ways stress tips you rely on to stay calm? Share them with us on Twitter @TheBeautyBean
Recommended For You…