By Becca Gregg
They say that Eve took a bite of the forbidden fruit on the promise that it would make her wiser. Personally, we think she just wanted clearer skin. After all, the benefits that stem from eating fruit are endless and the lasting effects of fruit in your beauty regimen have proven to be as tried and true as the age-old tale. But what about applying fruit to your face?
For centuries, women in countries around the world have used fruit and plant-based home remedies to nix everything from dry skin to pesky pimples. And, thankfully, we’re heading back to our roots.
As of late, food-based products have taken the western cosmetic world by storm as manufacturers aim to make products as pure, eco-friendly and chemical-free as possible. But more than just being all-natural, fruit-based skincare products have many better-than-synthetic perks that we’re glad companies are finally take note of. Yes, that’s right, putting fruit on your face has incredible benefits as well – ones that numerous brands are starting to tap into.
So how, you ask, does good-for-your-body translate to good-for-your-skin too? Well, in the same way that healthy foods feed our bodies from the inside out, they feed our bodies from the outside in. Jam-packed with antioxidants, Vitamins A, C and E, beta carotene and selenium, fruits not only defend against everything from cancer to heart disease, but also slow the aging process, shield against skin damaging UV rays, guard your cells from damage, assist in skin repair and renewal and even strengthen blood vessels.
So, how are we adding fruit to our skin care routines (without pulling out the blender)? We’re giving these products a try (and think you should too!):
1. For brighter, younger-looking skin and a proven anti-aging complex, take advantage of the serious antioxidants found in pomegranates. Try Weleda Pomegranate Regenerating Hand Cream, $12.49 at target.com.
2. For a smooth, effective (and delish smelling!) antioxidant-laden berry exfoliator, try The Body Deli’s Blueberry Fusion Scrub, $36 at thebodydeli.com, or the Triple Berry Smoothing Peel by Renée Rouleau, $85.50 at reneerouleau.com.
3. For an instant hydrating, anti-inflammatory and age-defying toner on the go, treat your face to the fresh benefits of the fruit enzymes and anti-oxidants found in MyChelle Dermaceuticals Fruit Enzyme Mist, $25.99 at vitaminshoppe.com.
4. For relief from dry cuticles, elbows, toes and even heals, reap the benefits of fresh lemon juice. Not into using actual lemon juice? Check out Lush’s Lemony Flutter, $12.95 at lushusa.com.
5. For a Swiss apple-infused instant lash pick-me-up that’ll condition and repair to deliver thick, rich lashes, try Lancôme Définicils Precious Cells Mascara, $29 at nordstrom.com.