Is Your City Aging You?
Think your genes and loyalty to the SPF gods are what determine how your skin will age? Well, sure, but there’s more at play when it comes to how your skin will age into the future: namely, your zip code!
So what will your skin look like in 2040?
A new study from anti-aging pioneer RoC® Skincare gives us a sneak peek several decades down the road, based on where we live.
To shine a light on how these factors affect skin aging, RoC® Skincare partnered with an independent research firm to look at factors commonly known to affect skin health – lifestyle, occupational effects, and environmental influences. The result is the 2016 RoC® Wrinkle Ranking, which gives us a fortune teller’s look at your metropolitan areas’ risk for skin damage and premature aging by the year 2040.
The major factors at play: lower air quality and longer commute times (especially in bigger metropolitan areas); smoking rates, in cities like Nashville, St. Louis, and Kansas City, which are expected to remain significantly higher than the rest of the country; and the effects of global warming, with higher temperatures and less precipitation increasing the risk of wrinkles in the Great Lakes, Northeast, and Texas.
How Does Your City Rank?
Live in Philadelphia? Start stocking up on SPF (our pick: RoC® MULTI CORREXION® 5 In 1 Daily Moisturizer With Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30) as the study predicts that residents will be the most wrinkle-prone, thanks to high stress levels, more airborne pollution, lengthy commute times, and higher than average smoking rates.
San Jose residents, on the other hand, will claim the least wrinkle-prone title, thanks to shorter commute times, smaller population size, and the anticipated shift toward a wetter climate.
Curious where your city lands?
Here’s where your city ranks in its aging factors in just 24 short years:
- Philadelphia, PA
- Denver-Aurora, CO
- Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA
- Chicago-Naperville-Arlington Heights, IL
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI
- Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
- New York, NY
- Warren, MI
- Edison, NJ
- Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA
- Nassau County-Suffolk County, NY
- Boston-Quincy, MA
- Baltimore-Towson, MD
- St. Louis, MO-IL
- Newark, NJ-PA
- Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA
- Cambridge-Newton-Framingham, MA
- Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
- Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN
- Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA
Want to prevent environmental aging? Click here for Roc’s anti-aging offerings!
Brought to you by Roc